Tuesday, August 20, 2013

On Gratitude:

It was told that the grandson of the Prophet, Hassanibn 'Alī, clung to the corner of the Ka'bah and said,"My God, You have done good to me and have not found me grateful. You have tested me and have not found me patient. Yet You have not taking Your blessings away from me for all my lack of gratitude,nor made difficultly continue, for all my lack of patience! My God, nothing comes from the Generous except generosity." It was said that if you cannot stretch your hand to give recompense, you should stretch your tongue togive thanks. And it is said that there are four whose labours are fruitless: anyone who whispers to a deaf man, sets a benefit before the unthankful, sows in a salt marsh, or light lamps in the sunshine. When Nabi Allāh Idrīs was given good news of God's forgiveness, he requested a long life. Asked why, he said, "In order to thank Him, for before this I was working for forgiveness." The angel unfurled his wings and carried him off to heaven. One of the Prophets passed by a little rock from which was issuing great amounts of water. He wondered at that, so God caused it to speak to him."Since I heard God Most High say, "A fire whose fuelis men and stones" [66:6] it said, "I have wept". So that Prophet prayed to God to protect that rock. Allāh revealed to him that He has indeed protected it from the Fire. The Prophet went on. When he came by again he found the water gushing from it as before. He wondered and God caused the rock to converse with him. "Why are you crying? " he asked it, "When God has forgiven you?" "Those were tears of grief and fear," it said, "These are tearsof gratitude and joy." It is said that the grateful person is present with God's bounty, because what he sees is the blessing. God Most High said, "If you are thankful, I will give you more" [14:7]. The patient person, though, is present with God Most High, because what he sees isthe One who is putting him to the test. God, Most High said, "Certainly God is with the patient." [2:153, 8:46, 8:66]. Imam Abu Qāsim al-Qushayrī in his Risālā.

No comments:

Post a Comment